Washington places five conditions in response to Tehran’s proposal for negotiations
ISLAMABAD:
With the deadlock persisting and US President Donald Trump contemplating his next move, Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi on Sunday held important meetings in Tehran in what appears to be a last-ditch effort to salvage the deal and prevent renewed hostilities.
Naqvi, who is one of a handful of Pakistani officials involved in the intricate diplomatic efforts, landed in Tehran on Saturday on a previously unannounced visit.
He accompanied the Field Marshal, who travelled to the Iranian capital just days after the first round of talks between Iran and the US, held in Islamabad, failed to achieve any breakthrough.
The influential minister spent three hours at the Presidential Palace, according to the Pakistani Embassy in Tehran.
Iranian Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni and Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araqchi were also present at the Presidential Palace during Naqvi’s crucial meeting with President Masoud Pezeshkian.
“Mr Mohsin Naqvi also held a private meeting with President Dr Masoud Pezeshkian that lasted about 90 minutes and was attended by Iranian Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni,” a statement added.
According to Iran’s news agency, Interior Minister Naqvi also met Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, who led the Iranian side during the high-stakes talks with US Vice President JD Vance last month in Islamabad.
So far, no details regarding the meetings have been released by either the Iranian or Pakistani governments. However, it is believed that Naqvi’s visit was aimed at breaking the stalemate between Iran and the US.
Despite the exchange of several back-and-forth proposals between the two sides, the deadlock persists, threatening a new round of war.
“That is why Pakistan is pushing and persuading both sides not to give up on diplomatic efforts,” said a diplomatic source.
What has emerged so far is that Iran and the US remain poles apart on how to end the war.
Iran’s semi-official Fars News Agency, considered close to the country’s military and security establishment, has revealed that Washington has placed five conditions in response to Tehran’s proposal for negotiations.
Those conditions include no war reparations for Iran, transfer of 400kg of enriched uranium to the US, retention of only one Iranian nuclear facility, no release of even 25% of Iran’s frozen assets, and negotiations linked to an end to the war on all fronts.
Iran, meanwhile, has its own set of conditions, including an end to conflicts across all fronts, particularly in Lebanon, lifting of sanctions, return of frozen assets, war compensation, and recognition of Iran’s sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz.
It is believed that Tehran, via Islamabad, has now responded to the US conditions.
Meanwhile, Pakistan continued its diplomatic efforts, reaching out to other stakeholders to prevent further disaster in the region.
On Sunday, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif received a telephone call from the Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Qatar, Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani.
The two leaders held a warm and cordial conversation during which they exchanged views on the regional and international situation, according to an official handout issued by the Prime Minister’s Office.
The prime minister thanked the Qatari leadership for its strong support and endorsement of the peace efforts being led by Pakistan to reduce regional tensions and promote peace and stability.
The prime minister appreciated Qatar’s constructive role in regional diplomacy and its efforts to build consensus in support of ongoing mediation initiatives. Both leaders agreed on the need for continued engagement and close consultations among all relevant parties to address shared challenges.
The prime minister conveyed his best wishes to the Amir of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, and said that he looked forward to his official visit to Pakistan.
Both sides also agreed to maintain regular high-level contacts to follow up on the outcomes of the discussion.