Association cites massive losses from burned trucks and forced bribes; demands probe
Trucks transporting Afghan nationals, who were expelled from Pakistan, are parked as refugees wait for registration at the Omari refugee camp in Mohmand Dara, Torkham border, Nangarhar province, Afghanistan, April 15, 2025 Photo: Reuters
The Balochistan Goods Truck Owners Association announced on Tuesday it would suspend the loading and transportation of chromite, marble and other minerals across the province, citing repeated attacks on vehicles, lack of security, and widespread extortion by various elements.
Addressing a press conference at the Quetta Press Club, Association President Haji Noor Muhammad Shahwani said transporters suffered losses worth millions of rupees due to the burning of trucks and bursting of tyres. He warned that any truck or company owner who loads minerals would be solely responsible for any profit or loss.
“From today onward, no truck will load chromite or marble from Dalbandin, Nokkundi, Muslim Bagh or Loralai,” Shahwani declared. Loading of food items and other general goods will, however, continue as normal.
Read: Gwadar Port tariff rates slashed
He said the attacks had been occurring for a long time on national highways. Recent incidents were reported in areas including Mastung, Khad Kocha, Armagai in Kharan district, Washuk, and Khuzdar, where nearly a dozen trucks were targeted. Eight trucks were set on fire while the rest sustained damage to their tyres.
Shahwani complained that neither the mine contractors and owners nor the provincial government had provided any support or compensation to the affected transporters, turning mineral transport into an unbearable ordeal.
He further alleged that no highway in Balochistan was safe. Looting occurred in broad daylight at gunpoint, with money being forcibly taken from trucks and buses. At several check posts, including Rukshan, Barori, Barija in Jhal Magsi district, Rakhni, and Dana Sar, personnel allegedly forced parked food trucks to surrender diesel.
The association chief also pointed to “humiliating” behaviour by the station house officer of Sakran Police Station at Hub Chowki towards transporters. He claimed that trucks and trailers heading from Balochistan to Karachi were regularly subjected to extortion.
Despite directives issued by the chief minister to end police and other departments’ extortion culture and remove illegal check posts, the practice continued unabated, he added.
Shahwani also raised the issue of a recent fire at the Lakpass Customs Warehouse, in which transporters’ vehicles worth billions of rupees were destroyed. He demanded the formation of a high-level inquiry committee under the supervision of the Balochistan High Court to investigate the incident and take action against those responsible.