West Indies face World Cup qualifier again

Two-time champions West Indies will have to fight their way into the 2027 ODI World Cup through the Qualifier. Photo: AFP Two-time champions West Indies will have to fight their way into the 2027 ODI World Cup through the Qualifier after failing to secure automatic qualification for the third consecutive edition. The Caribbean side, currently ranked…

Read More

Trump jumps in support of Infantino

US President Donald Trump and FIFA President Gianni Infantino waves to spectators at the World Cup final last month. Photo: AFP/File WASHINGTON, USA: US President Donald Trump said on Monday it would be “a terrible mistake” to replace Gianni Infantino, the embattled FIFA president who tried, and failed, to sell off part of the World Cup…

Read More

Lamichhane returns as Nepal ODI captain

Nepal have handed the ODI captaincy back to experienced leg-spinner Sandeep Lamichhane ahead of the ACC Men’s Premier Cup. Photo: AFP Nepal have handed the ODI captaincy back to experienced leg-spinner Sandeep Lamichhane ahead of the ACC Men’s Premier Cup in Malaysia, replacing Rohit Paudel. The 26-year-old has previously led Nepal in 14 ODIs and…

Read More

Sinner withdraws from Cincinnati Open

Sinner, who won Wimbledon this year, follows Carlos Alcaraz in pulling out of the tournament. Photo: REUTERS LONDON: World number one Jannik Sinner has pulled out of the Cincinnati Open with a right knee injury, tournament organisers said on Sunday, handing the ‌Italian a blow in his preparations for this month’s U.S. Open. The 24-year-old…

Read More

Brook, Greaves shortlisted for ICC awards

England captain Harry Brook and West Indies all-rounder Justin Greaves headline the nominees for the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award for July while England skipper Nat Sciver-Brunt leads the women’s shortlist. Bangladesh opener Tanzid Hasan completes the men’s nominations, with Sri Lanka batsman Harshitha Samarawickrama and West Indies captain Hayley Matthews joining Sciver-Brunt…

Read More

Infantino targeted by three confederations

UEFA, CONCACAF and AFC in the joint letter declared football “belongs to no individual” FIFA president Gianni Infantino remains under fire over his aborted plan to allow private investment in the World Cup. Photo: AFP LAUSANNE: FIFA president Gianni Infantino came under renewed fire on Monday as a joint letter from three confederations — UEFA,…

Read More